1) WHAT IT IS
TimeBank Santa Cruz is a network of Santa Cruz County residents who share skills and talents using time as currency. No money changes hands for services provided. It uses software to connect people in real time to meet real needs.
2) WHAT IT IS NOT
TimeBank Santa Cruz is not a barter system nor does it deal in commodities or capital.
TimeBank Santa Cruz is not a marketing platform for businesses. It is not appropriate to offer services with the intention of reaping paid employment from the interaction.
3) FIVE CORE VALUES
- Everyone merits respect.
- Everyone is an asset.
- Reciprocity means mutual action.
- All work has value.
- Social capital builds local resilience.
4) HOW IT WORKS
- You provide a service to earn TimeCredits.
- One hour of service equals one TimeCredit.
- Each member’s hour is of equal value.
- You pledge to be available three hours per month.
- You spend your TimeCredits on services in the network.
- You use the website to keep track of transactions.
5) HOW TO JOIN
- Read the Handbook.
- Fill out an Application.
- Attend an Orientation.
- Pay Member News.
Dues are $25 to $50 on a sliding scale.
IMPORTANT: You must be able to respond to email and phone messages promptly to be a TimeBank member.
6) AT THE ORIENTATION
At your meeting with a TimeBank Coordinator, we will create your Profile, post your initial Offers and Requests, and show you how to search the site and record exchanges. We’ll review TimeBank policies and your Rights and Responsibilities.
7) HOW TO USE THE TIMEBANK
As a member, you’ll be able to contact other members by phone or email. Your neighborhood (but not street address) will be visible to other members. We ask members to respond to each other within two days.
8) SERVICE CATAGORIES
- Arts and Culture
- Business and Clerical
- Home Repairs
- Food Preparation
- Health and Wellness
- Home and Garden
- Sports and Leisure
9) WHAT TO OFFER
We’re always looking for resourceful folks with practical skills to share. A simple task for you may be another person’s laborious chore. Consider offering services that you enjoy, that come easily to you.
Costs for materials or ingredients are paid by the recipient. You can decide how far you’re willing to travel to offer services and include your round-trip travel time in your total service hours.
EXAMPLES OF OFFERS
Cooking:I have a lot of experience with organic, vegetarian, gluten-free cooking. I will plan, prepare and deliver a meal for 1-8 people. I'd like to have 2 days notice.
Music Lessons:I'm a self-taught jazz pianist and I love teaching adults and children 12 years and over, beginning and intermediate levels welcome.
10) WHAT TO REQUEST
Consider requesting services that you need help with, cannot do or want to learn.
Be as specific as possible about what you need. Include the location, the amount of time required, if there is a deadline, whether or not you can help and if you have the materials and tools needed. You provide any materials needed for your Request.
EXAMPLES OF REQUESTS
Yard Work:I need someone to help me prepare my flowerbed for winter by weeding and adding mulch. I have a bad back and won't be able to help.
Ride to the airport:I have a flight on Wednesday, April 2 at 5 pm from San Jose. Would need to leave by 1 pm. Can pay $25 for gas. Small suitcase.
11) RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Every member has the right to:
- Earn TimeCredits for services provided.
- Spend TimeCredits on services offered.
- Save Time Credits for future use.
- Donate TimeCredits to other members.
- Be valued and treated fairly.
Every member has the responsibility to:
- Keep your profile current.
- Use your legal first and last name.
- Pay Annual Dues promptly.
- Respond to other members promptly.
- Know and honor the TimeBank's policies.
- Participate regularly.
12) MEMBER ENROLLMENT AND REMOVAL POLICY
TimeBank Santa Cruz reserves the right to refuse membership to anyone without explanation. Members may be removed from the TimeBank at the discretion of the Coordinators. Reasons for dismissal include but are not limited to:
- Not responding to communications. If you do not get a response from another member, contact the Coordinator. After two complaints of non-responsiveness, the Member will be contacted and may be de-activated.
- Theft, fraud, misuse or abuse. These behaviors will not be tolerated and the member will be removed. Posting inappropriate Offers or Requests is a misuse of the TimeBank. The Board of Directors shall deem what is inappropriate.
- Violence, harassment or other disrespectful interactions. We rely on all members to report any inappropriate behavior, be it directed at you or observed by you. Any infraction may result in de-activation.
- Lack of participation. If a member has had zero transactions within six months and/or is unreachable by phone or email, the account will be de-activated.
- For the TimeBank to work, receiving services is as necessary as giving. Please do both.
- Appreciation for another’s best efforts is also important. There may be situations when the service provided does not meet your expectations. No service is guaranteed. If there is a true problem, please contact the Coordinators.
- Enter other’s space with care. Respect other members' homes, their belief systems and personal boundaries. If you smoke, ask for permission. Refrain from using alcohol or illegal drugs before or while performing a service.
- Represent your abilities accurately. Use the agreed-upon time to provide a service and renegotiate if more time is needed.
- Don't feel obligated to provide a service. You can say “no” at any time with simple “Sorry, that won’t work out for me.” Please respond to Requests even if you will be declining to offer service.
- TimeBank Santa Cruz does not check driving records; therefore, it is the responsibility of each member to screen drivers. Anyone who provides driving services is expected to have a valid driver’s license, carry auto insurance, use seat belts, follow driving laws, and maintain his/her car to a standard of safety. Be prepared to show your Driver's License and proof of insurance when they are requested. If requesting transportation, be sure to ask to see those documents before the Exchange begins.
- It is not customary to ask for compensation for fuel used to provide services within Santa Cruz County. You may arrange for reimbursement for out-of-county services such as trips to the airport. TimeCredits are not redeemable for cash.
- TimeBank Santa Cruz does not perform background checks on any of its members. It is the responsibility of each member to meet and/or screen members offering Child or Elder Care.
- The TimeBank community must protect the privacy and confidentiality of its members. TimeCredits may only be used for members or their dependents. Non-members may not use TimeBank services. Do not share any member information outside the TimeBank community. Emails or addresses may not be added to any mailing lists without the express permission of the member.
- TimeBank Santa Cruz will not be held responsible for any injury to persons or damage to property experienced while involved in service exchanges.
14) LEGAL AGREEMENTS
- I understand that Time Bank Santa Cruz shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by information contained on this website or any other TimeBank resources.
- I understand that my email address and/or phone number will be shared with other members of TimeBank Santa Cruz. I also understand that I will receive newsletters and other communications for TimeBank Santa Cruz from the Coordinators.
- Since any agreements shall be made by and between parties involved in TimeBank exchanges, TimeBank Santa Cruz will not be held responsible and will not assume any liability for claims, damages, or any other consequences which may arise from this arrangement.
- I hereby agree the duty, responsibility, and liability that is inherent with TimeBank Santa Cruz exchanges shall remain as it would be if the parties were not part of any TimeBank. I agree to leave intact the normal remedies and cause-of-action available to these parties in the event of any unforeseen circumstance. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless all parties who facilitate or participate in TimeBank exchanges.
- I agree to abide by the core values, rules, and guidelines provided by TimeBank Santa Cruz for proper and courteous behavior. I pledge to proceed with good intent towards being of service to others in my community and treat others in the TimeBank with respect and kindness.